Grow Salvia divinorum Salvia divinorum information Salvia divinorum legal status law Salvia divinorum images gallery Salvia divinorum cultivation growing community Salvia divinorum forum Shop to live Salvia divinorum plants, extracts
SalviaSource.org Forums - Salvia divinorum cultivation community
October 22, 2014, 01:24:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Your Ad Here

FORUM HOME   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Breadfruit :D  (Read 466 times)
Babylove Woodrose
Super Gardener

Expertise 71

« on: September 13, 2011, 01:20:38 PM »

Image URL: http://www.salviasource.org/images/gallery/9167.jpg

little sapling coming out from the bottom of the big mama

Babylove Woodrose
Super Gardener

Expertise 71

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 01:22:45 PM »

For those who do not know breadfruit:

Yes it is a fruit and yes it does look like bread! LOL
Most people do not like breadfruit, a staple of the pacific peoples. You can boil it, fry it, make it into a pie crust (best use in my opinion!), make flour, etc, etc. Very nutritious Cheesy
landão13
Cultivation Contributor

Expertise 29

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 05:54:56 AM »

Can't say of heard of this one!!, what does the flowers & fruit look like??,very interested to see!!,, I'll probably google it bfor u even post it so..no worries!!,

The seeds that you dont sow, are the plants you wont grow!
Babylove Woodrose
Super Gardener

Expertise 71

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 07:06:46 AM »

The fruit of the tree is green and about the size of a handball, sometimes bigger. The outside flesh is odd, it has a reptilian texture. When mature, the fruit becomes soft, most varieties have no seed. It is white inside and spongy. I like to make pie crust with it, has a slightly sweet taste and blends well with food you cook it with. Some people just cook it in hot coals or in the over
landão13
Cultivation Contributor

Expertise 29

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 07:16:32 AM »

Awesome, sounds delish!!!  Wink

The seeds that you dont sow, are the plants you wont grow!
maagoat
Advanced Explorer

Expertise 5

Om Shanti Shanti Shanti

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 03:13:47 PM »

I have never heard of this up till now, you certainly are a wealth of knowlege Grin! I'm gonna try and get hold of one of these Smiley. The leaf looks quite similar to that of a fig tree.
Babylove Woodrose
Super Gardener

Expertise 71

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 03:27:40 PM »

It is worth getting one of these, you need to find a cutting, you MAY find seeds but they are quite rare, most edible species are seedless but you can find a few different species, some more palatable than others. Most people don't like it but I can't go without. This tree is quite a big one, very tall and thin, the new shoot came out after I gave it a high P-K treatment, I will air layer to start a new one in front of the house, it is a very attractive tree that can get some 20 meters high :O, the fruit will fall when ready and mature in a few days without getting damaged by the impact, I usually put them in a bag with some freshly harvested bananas, it ripens to perfection!
I use it to supplement the tubers I grow. Along with Sweet potato, Carrot/potato yam (orange yam), cassava it serves my carbohydrate needs and brings variety to the menu!

Make sure to NEVER feed this tree a high level of Nitrogen it will die quickly!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: